Thursday, March 20, 2014

Introduction Wk 1 Day 4

4 mile run:
 
1 mile warm-up

10 x 100 meter sprints

1 mile cool-down


Same concept as Day 2, with a difference of a flat 100 meter sprint instead of a 50 meter hill run. During my 1 mile warm-up I gradually increased my pace every quarter mile in preparation for the sprints. I brought it back down at the beginning of the 4th quarter mile before I hit the hill sprinting. I tried to gage my sprints to be challenging enough to push myself but not necessarily exhausting myself to the point that I cannot continue my workout. The key is to put your cardio to the test while maintaining your strength in completing your intended workout. If you find yourself exhausted to the point where you can no longer continue, adjust your pace down. After completing my sprint I began to conduct my 1mile cool-down. I used the same technique as my warm up but just doing the opposite I gradually decrease my pace to prevent stiffing up. Ensure your conducting a good warm-up and cool-down stretch. This plays an important part in increasing performance and decreasing soreness.

Today I also started breaking in my new Merrell Sonic Glove minimalist shoes. I just ordered this due to the fact they are water resistant and living in Tacoma, Washington that is a big help with all the rain. These shoes have a flexible upper that allows your foot to breathe, but most importantly keeps your foot dry. A lot of people mentioned that they were slippery on the asphalt but I didn't experience that today. Next I will try to take them out on a trail to see how they workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment